Job Title: Head of Conveyancing Department
Location: Greater Manchester
Reports to: Director
Standard Hours of Work: 40 hours per week
Salary Range (incl. benefits): Up to £55k doe
SCOPE OF THE ROLE
The Head of Department will be responsible for the operational management of the Conveyancing Department.
The role is to develop and run a newly created conveyancing department, within a well-established legal business. You will encourage, mentor and develop all members of the team to including solicitors/fee earners, paralegals and admin assistants. You will ensure the team meets its objectives and targets with a view to continuously improve the quality of the team’s work. They will be responsible for overseeing all stages of the conveyancing process, from instruction to completion, including responsibility for the team achieving their objectives, tracking performance daily and exploring how fees can be maximized for the
• Implementation of the firm's plan for the Conveyancing Department
• Manage caseload of mixed conveyancing matters including residential and commercial matters (broad mix of sales/purchases/freehold/leasehold)
• Conducting a regular review of Fee Earner caseload, auditing files to ensure the case is progressing in accordance with the firm's Plan and defined procedures
• Effectively manage enquiries that are raised on a sale or purchase
• Ensure all documents are in place for the registration of the purchase or sale following completion
• Design efficient internal processes within case management system (Proclaim)
• Provide technical guidance to the team.
• Work with the Legal Director to assess trends within the work quality and identify potential work quality issues.
• Liaise with other stakeholders internally and externally as required.
• Maximising the personal development of team members. Working with Head of HR to identifying training needs ensuring that post training evaluation takes place
• Conducting employee appraisals
• Providing an ‘environment’ where team members feel motivated
• Promoting team working
• Continuously improving the quality of work in the team, conducting audits as required by administrative policies and procedures, giving feedback to team members and drafting and implementing improvement plans
• Monitoring weekly and monthly financial management information of the team and team members and managing performance of team members against Key Performance Indicators
• Preparing for and conducting Team Meetings, including disseminating information from Departmental/Management Meetings.
• Build a caseload of high-quality residential property sales and purchases and will be given the autonomy and support to generate new business and develop the caseload as you see fit.
• Speaking with clients and developing relationships with key stakeholders.
• Managing team members according to the firm’s policies and employment laws and ensuring that HR procedures are followed such as appraisals, discipline and grievances
• Effectively deal with complaints through agreed handling processes.
• To ensure compliance with the SRA Code of Conduct 2011
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE…
• Experience working with residential and commercial conveyancing processes and procedures
• Extensive knowledge of sales and purchase of leasehold and freehold, re-mortgages and schemes such as Help to Buy and equity sharing arrangements.
• Commercial and residential property knowledge with proven supervisory experience
• Possessing excellent written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail and accuracy skills
• Able to organise and prioritise workload especially under pressure is essential
• Must possess a Law degree and/or be licensed with Council for Licensed Conveyancers (CLC)
• Previous experience in managing a case from a case management system (ideally Proclaim)
• Ability work alone using their own initiative
• Experience of working within a paperless office
• Ability to inspire others to attain goals and pursue excellence
• Resolves and/or escalates issues in a timely manner
• Ability to identify team issues and evaluate situations
• Able to effectively utilise each team member to his/her full potential
• Motivate the teams to work together in the most efficient manner
• Proven track record in adhering to deadlines and exceeding targets, as well as holding high standards of efficiency and time management
• Ability to impart information at different levels, as required
• Ability to deliver engaging, informative and well organised presentations
• Able to identify opportunities for improvement and made constructive suggestions for change