Up to £25k, dependant on experience
4 months ago
Job Title: Paralegal
Salary: Up to £25k (doe) + benefits
The Firm: This client is a specialist, claimant law firm. Over the last thirty years they have been involved in ground-breaking cases against multinational corporations and government authorities and bodies. They have represented national and international individuals and communities with often complex personal injury or human rights cases. Over the years, they have won several awards and consistently ranked in the top tiers of both Chambers and Legal 500 client guides. They also topped the Chambers Student Guide diversity survey and won the accolade of being the most diverse law firm.
About the Personal Injury Department: They have been identified by the leading legal directories as one of the country's leading firms of claimant personal injury solicitors. We have extensive experience in handling compensation claims for people who have suffered serious injuries, including amputation, brain and spinal injuries and for those involved in major disaster claims, accidents at work, construction site accidents, road traffic accidents and falling masonry injuries. As they act for the members of British Cycling and British Triathlon Federation, many of the claims will be for injured cyclists.
Overall purpose for this role: Manage to the highest standards a caseload of predominantly fast track claimant personal injury claims, of which the majority will be cycling related.
Main duties and responsibilities
- To manage a caseload of predominantly fast-track personal injury claims on behalf of injured cyclists;
- To obtain accurate information and instructions from clients, analyse the legal and practical aspects of their claims and obtain the necessary documents/evidence to provide advice on liability/quantum/costs & funding.
- To analyse and advise on strategy, tactics, and how best to achieve the most successful outcome for each client according to the circumstances of their case.
- To progress claims to settlement, conducting litigation through to trial or earlier settlement.
- To enable clients to make informed decisions based on advice on legal and other appropriate considerations e.g. costs, funding and risks of litigation.
- To monitor all aspects of the case on behalf of the client and advise on whether subsequent developments affect views previously expressed.
- To ensure court directions are complied with.
- To comply with the Civil Procedure Rules
- Genuine interest to work with a leading claimant law firm and passionate about providing access to justice to all.
- Demonstrable strong experience in handling fast-track personal injury cases in an efficient, accurate and timely manner.
- Experience of handling cases both in and out of the MOJ claims portals.
- Experience of handling litigated cases.
- Demonstrable legal experience in drafting, liaising with medical professionals, financial institutions and solicitors.
- Demonstrable ability in interviewing clients, taking witness statements, dealing sensitively and managing difficult situations and conversations.
- Ability to deal sensitively with colleagues and management, clients and other parties.
- Demonstrable experience in using a variety of IT packages (MS Word, Excel, Case Management Systems and Outlook).
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal.
- Must be self-sufficient, secretarial support not provided.
- Works well under pressure and in an organised and methodical manner and has a positive attitude.
- Good team player, pro-active, reliable, friendly and energetic
- 29 days holiday
- Plus, all public and bank holidays
- contributory pension scheme
- life assurance (4 times the annual salary)
- interest free season ticket loan
- Childcare vouchers
- cycle to work scheme
- There are also annual social activities
- Supportive and friendly culture