Our client is one of the largest UK accountancy firms who have been looking after the financial affairs of businesses, individuals and families for more than a century, offering a wide range of end-to-end financial services.
In line with their Tax Business growth objectives, our client has committed to investing in the creation of a national Business Rates Tax offer. This offer will sit alongside their wider market leading Tax Group, which has a key objective to grow by 80% between now and 2025, and there is a desire to extend the Business Rates tax service to their current and future clients.
The company is a highly successful and growing organisation who are forward thinking in business approach and supportive in career development.
Working from a five-year business plan to set up and position a best-in-class business rates tax service operating from three ‘hub’ locations; London, Midlands and the North. There is a clear desire to be an ambitious market leading team for the 2023 Revaluation and beyond. There is a commitment to ensure that flexible working pattern split between office and home is offered to secure best talent. Supportive in career aspiration.
The purpose of the role is to assist with establishing a best-in-class Birmingham Rating Team with a focus on both Landlord and Occupier instructions relating to the Check Challenge Appeal process.
The role will involve working closely with the National Head of Business Rates to build out the Birmingham team with focus on both immediate 2017 List instructions and business generation in relation to 2023 Revaluation. This role will be highly centred on strategic business development with this being a new service line under the wider tax offering of the company.
In line with the 5-year business plan there is a commitment to invest in building a national team from the outset and you will be part of an exciting journey to build the reputation and brand of this offer in the Birmingham and wider midlands markets, aiming to compete with the leading Rating Advisors in these markets.
You will be targeting both Landlord and Occupier work looking to assist and advise on the Check Challenge and Appeal process as well as offering advice on empty rates mitigation strategy.
Additionally you will have experience of attending Valuation Tribunal and dealing with external barristers to advise on key cases moving to Upper Chamber and beyond.
The Person – you will:
- be a Rating professional with MRICS/ IRRV qualified status and be at least 3 years post qualified.
- have experience of line managing junior colleagues and operating within the midlands market.
- be responsible for helping to build and manage a Birmingham Rating Team reporting performance and progress regularly into the National Head of Business Rates.
- be an exceptional business generator and negotiator who can both formulate and positively implement business strategy.
- have an aptitude for business generation and development collaborating with a multitude of colleagues across varying services lines within the company to identify opportunities to build business with a strong focus on the 2023 Revaluation.
- have responsibility, once established, to manage a growing team to ensure wider objectives are met over the next five years.
- be working very closely with the newly appointed Head of Business Rates to position and grow this offer.
- have the capacity to promote and position the new offer effectively.
In terms of technical experience:
- You will have experience and knowledge of key business rates software, the ability to fully utilise Riverlake and Analyse software packages is highly desirable.
- keep abreast of the latest changes to government rating legislation and business rates case law in order to ensure you are able to keep colleagues and clients updated with the latest advice. You will be able to confidently apply case law in a manner to assist negotiations and inform client advice.
- Alongside being a Team Leader, you will be responsible for an individual rating case load largely relating to the Check Challenge Appeal (CCA) process.
- be familiar with the government gateway and the framework for operating in a timely manner within the regulated procedure of submitting Checks through to completion of the negotiating process with the Valuation Office Agency (VOA).
- be a competent rating valuer of a wide range of commercial assets and have a strong relationship with the VOA and Rating peers within the midlands markets to ensure that you can confidently commence and conclude business rates negotiations to secure best client outcomes. Membership to the RSA is desired but not essential.
The role will be based within the company’s Birmingham City Office however, there is scope for flexible home working as required.
As well as working for a highly reputable and successful company where you will be valued both in performance output and supported in your own career ambition. You will have great autonomy over the direction and growth of the Birmingham Rating Team. The Company is supportive of investment in team to ensure that growth objectives in line with the business plan are met and you will receive a competitive package with benefits.
Remuneration & Benefits:
- Associate - £65k – 79k per annum (D.O.E.)
- Director - £80k+ per annum (D.O.E.)
- holidays - tbc
- Private Healthcare
- Life Assurance
- And more…..
To apply for this position, please contact Andrew Kingsley MRICS on 07879 413 765 or email a copy of your latest CV to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the position and reference for this role AK18824.